Re: [IPk] General Questions

Hi Melissa
The concept of trigger foods is one thing I always find weird - why som every
particular foods have such a huge impact on some people and not on others. On
average I eat 2-3 bananas a day and never have a problem with them!
Cheesecake and Chinese food are my main two trigger foods - largely because
of the fat in them I think. Pizza as well, though homemade pizza is fine (I
suspect because I put a lot less fat in!). Bread can sometimes have a weird
effect on me though - even when not covered in fat. But I've never had a
problem with any kind of fruit, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. Strange, isn't it?

As for Rob and his GI question, for me what works is to think largely in
terms of carb content, but keep the GI in the back of my mind. Foods with a
very low GI tend to raise my BG more slowly, so I might take my insulin for
them a little later, or spread it out over several hours. But apart from very
low GI foods such as chickpeas, lentils, gram flour etc. I don't tend to
notice much difference. What I notice more is the effect of adding fat to
carbs, which slows down the rise a lot, and makes it last longer (for me).