[IPn] Insulin Pump Satisfaction Survey

I am forwarding this to the general membership since so many of you
participated in the study. I expect it will be of interest to all of
you. Ms Hodgson's comments are self explanatory. An excellent piece
of work!

Since this is a published paper, it may be of help to some of you in
the UK and elsewhere that have difficulty convincing the "powers that
be" that a pump really makes that big a difference.

email @ redacted

Hello everyone!

Since it has been awhile, I will re-introduce myself; my name is
Launa Hodgson, a graduate student from CSU Chico that posted the
survey that looked at the Quality of Life for people with Type 1
diabetes using insulin pump therapy during the summer of 2001. I
finally have the results of the survey that you so graciously filled
out. There was an amazing response, with nearly 600 people taking
part in the survey! With such an incredible response, the data
analysis took much longer than expected. You may be excited to know
that I presented this data at the American Diabetes Association
National meeting in San Francisco in June 2002. The abstract was
published in the Diabetes journal and can be found under: Hodgson,
LM., Hutchinson, GE., Loudermilk, L., Azevedo, JL. Jr.: Insulin pump
therapy improves the quality of life in Type 1 diabetic patients.
Diabetes 51 (Suppl. 2): S1816, 2002. The following is the printed
abstract; Insulin Pump Therapy Improves the Quality of Life in Type 1
Diabetic Patients To evaluate the quality of life in type 1 diabetic
patients using insulin pump therapy (IPT) the DCCT quality of life
(QOL) questionnaire was utilized in a web-based survey. Patients were
asked to evaluate selected aspects (satisfaction, impact, and worry)
of their lives by comparing previous injection therapy to current
IPT. Likert scale responses were employed for the various sections of
the QOL questionnaire. The responses employed were: "almost always",
"to a considerable degree", "occasionally", and "seldom". Of the 561
respondents 69% were female while 31% were male. The majority of
respondents (92%) were from the U.S., while the remainder were from
Canada, the U.K., and elsewhere. Of the 561 respondents, 307 had
diabetes for over 20 years; however, most respondents had been
utilizing IPT from < 1 to 5 years. Hemoglobin A1c decreased in 77% of
the respondents regardless of duration of IPT. Patient satisfaction
with diabetes management and care was significantly   (p < 0.01)
improved since initiating IPT. Respondents were either almost always
or considerably satisfied (n=512, p < 0.01) with their current
diabetes treatment since starting IPT. Additionally, personal
satisfaction was significantly improved since beginning IPT. Diet
flexibility was significantly affected with 81% (n=454) of
respondents almost always satisfied. Negative impact of diabetes on
the lives of patients was significantly reduced since starting IPT.
Respondents were seldom concerned about obtaining a job (n=358, p <
0.01); however, there were no significant differences between
either occasionally or seldomly experienced (n=459, 82%) since
starting IPT which represents a significant risk reduction.
Respondents were either seldomly or occasionally (n=486, 87%)
concerned of becoming unconscious since starting IPT. In conclusion,
the data support the hypothesis that insulin pump therapy improves
the quality of life in type 1 diabetics. Short-term enhanced QOL
could be due to the effectiveness of IPT, while long-term enhanced
QOL may result from decreased HbA1c which may lead to a reduced risk
of diabetic complications.

Other Data
-430 respondents had a decrease in HbA1c values
-59% of respondents preferred the long length of tubing
-60% of respondents changed their infusion set every 3 days
-91% of respondents agreed that their self care needs had improved
-309 respondents seldom feel pain with the treatment of diabetes -307
respondents had been diagnosed with diabetes for over 20 years -305
respondents had been using the pump for 1 - 5 years

None of this would have been possible without your involvement. Thank
you so much for taking the time to answer the survey. There was an
extremely large amount of data, so if you have any questions, or were
interested in any certain parts of the survey, please let me know. You
can reach me at email @ redacted We are currently working on a
manuscript to submit for publication in a journal, but that won't be
for quite awhile!

Thank you very much for your time, Launa Hodgson
For mail list removal contact
website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org