Hi Melissa,

Sorry, this didn't get posted for some reason ... too much to do!

The Gem Calorie Counter isn't great, but it's the best I've found for
carbohydrate values.  The problem is the publishers all bulk out what s
a thin collection with commercial products which have it on the back of
the packet anyway.

I think people here have recommended 'Stop the Rollercoaster' - and I'm
not sure whether I've read it or not!  I may be confusing it with
'Pumping Insulin' - which certainly does cover carbohydrates, exercise,

The maths in carbohydrate assessment is not too difficult (a simple
division sum). The statistical analysis of the resulting bgs they should
be doing anyway (whether or not using carb assessment).  The bit where
an advanced scientific education would come in useful is if they are
biologists: understanding the human digestion and metabolic systems
might give them an edge on understanding how to adjust the amount and
timing of insulin between, say, 10g CHO as apple juice, and 10g CHO as
an oatcake and cheese.  Between injecting for 10g CHO as apple juice
when the bg is 5, and when the bg is 9.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, never got beyond third year senior school biology after
a stand up row with a teacher about the definition of 'archaeology'.
Nothing changes)

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi y'all,
>I've been carbohydrate-counting for so long that I don't know what books on
>the subject are worth recommending to beginners. A couple of people who've
>joined the diabetes network I've started have asked for information. One is
>a postgraduate economist and the other did maths as an undergraduate;
>something a little technical would probably be a good complement to a more
>general introduction. A recommendation re the best book of carbohydrate
>values published in the UK would be helpful too.
>Thanks for any help!!

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)