[IPk] Re: Matching bolus to food is difficult

In a message dated 13/12/2002 08:41:17 GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted

> The bottom line is: is it usual for blood sugars to go
> this high after eating?

I had the same problems with my daughter's breakfast and the bolus.  She was
waking up with a BG of between 3.5 and 5.0 say, eat 2 slices of toast and
marmite, bolus and within half an hour to one hour her bg would be in the mid
20s!  I tried bolusing before she ate instead of afterwards but that didn't
work either.  In the end I increased the bolus by 0.5 units every 2 days
until I got it right.  She now has her bolus 5 minutes before she eats her
breakfast and she needs 4.5 units for the 2 slices of toast.  At lunchtime
she eats much more than that and only needs 2.5 to 3.0 units for a perfect

I would be careful about bolusing half an hour before your food because
Novorapid (don't know what you are on) is supposed to act 10 to 20 minutes
after giving it, so you would have to make sure you don't go too low. I would
probably, personally, not bolus more than 10 minutes before the meal but then
everyone is different.

Hope this helps.

Mum to Danielle aged 8 on a pump