Re: [IPk] Matching bolus to food is difficult!

> Hi again all
> Thanks for your responses. Some comments:
> 1. Yes, I'm sure I am doing the correct amount of
> insulin to cover the meal. Here is an example:
> 1pm eat lunch bg 4.9
> 2pm bg 13.2
> 3pm bg 18.2
> 6pm bg 5.8 This is typical of the pattern. If I take
> more insulin I will be hypo by 4pm.
> 2. I thought that wholemeal food was "low GI" - am I
> mistaken here? Shouldn't wholemeal rolls release sugar

nope, they are just a different color :-(
Any highly refined grain product generally releases its glucose very
rapidly -- the particles are very small and thus converted rapidly to

> slowly during the afternoon? If they are indeed high
> GI, would any different type of bread be better?

The ones with the "big chunks". The are better, but not much.
The more interesting foods like this are breakfast cereal. The whole
grain cereals and the "junk food" cereals are the ones with the most
even release of glucose. The first because the whole grain requires
significant processing to be digested and the second because of the
addition of complex sugars to sweeten the product. The "plain"
cereals are similar to your muffin -- nothing but highly refined
wheat that is converted rapidly to glucose.