Re: [IPk] Matching bolus to food is difficult!

In message <email @ redacted>, jenny
davey <email @ redacted> writes
>Hi all
>Haven't posted for a while and was wondering whether
>anybody can shed some light on my problem.
Hi Jenny,

Do you bolus extra to get yourself down from 15 to 5 - or does it go
down by itself?  If you have to bolus extra, then the solution is simply
to anticipate that, and bolus the extra 2 hrs before you peak.  People
do have incredibly different insulin-to-CHO rates at different times of
the day (although your problem is more commonly observed with breakfast
than with lunch).

If on the other hand, your bgs go down by themselves (and taking extra
insulin when you see the 15 drives you hypo a couple of hours later),
then it's a matching problem.  One way you can try and fix this by
moving the insulin to match the food, which you've been experimenting
with, but not on the basis of what you've observed.  When does the rise
start, when does it peak? - injecting 2 hrs before peak is normal, but
if you peak 30 mins after eating, you may find this is impossible,
because you will be hypo before you start eating.  The other way is
trying to match the food to the peak.  The meal you describe sounds
incredibly high % of calories from CHO.  What happens when you have 60%
of calories from cho?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds