Re: [IPk] Matching bolus to food is difficult!

On Thursday 12 Dec 2002 15:26, Diana wrote:
> Hi Jenny
> Perhaps you just need a higher insulin-carb ration at lunchtime than you do
> at other times of the day?
> What happens when you just increase the insulin?

Good point - I have a different ratio for breakfast, for instance. Also how
many units are you taking for this meal? I was told to not bolus more than 5
units in one go, and I have found this quite useful. My lunches usually
require more than 5 units, so if they're the sort of foods that won't require
a square-wave (most sandwiches, or fruit, for example) I have my 5 units
before the meal, and then the rest half an hour later.

Maybe one of the medical experts could say why bolusing over 5 units at a time
might be less than effective?

I know this is stating the obvious, but - you are taking into account the carb
value of the pate'? I've been caught out myself by vegetarian products which
have a high carb value and I didn't expect them to have any at all!