[IPk] Barbara's qn re MDI, new insulins and pumps

Quoting email @ redacted:

> hospital on Saturday with breathing difficulties and came home with
> steroids.
>  The consultant told me that I would need to consider 4 injections a day
> whilst on steroids and that the pump should not be considered as a way
> out
> when there are new insulins on the market.  What do you think?

In a word?  Garbage!  IMNSHO I think the consultant is on a different planet!
I've been on steroids numerous times for breathing problems and always on MDI
(pre-pump).  No way could I fine tune my control to counteract the inevitable
higher bgs from the steroids never mind infection or whatever was making the
steroids necessary.  I tried the best I could, and I'm reasonably intelligent
with 24 years experience of living and working hard at controlling my DM.  It
was a swings and dips experience and usually resulted in weight gain even on a
5 day course of steroids simply because of the extra insulin which caused me
more fluid retention.  Seems once it's on board much harder to get out of the
system. :-(

I've pushed and been on all the new insulins available - sometimes being first
on them in my DM clinic because I'd done my research and was working like billy-
o to maintain tight control because of the long haul.

Since going on a pump (somewhat reluctantly in some ways, as I was reluctant to
be attached to anything permanently!), I've had better control, less swings in
bgs, return of hypo awareness earlier than before, using less insulin, starting
to lose a bit of the bloating and feeling better.

That's my experience and opinion.  But as we know DM is such an idiopathic
disease that in the old cliche Your Mileage May Vary - i.e. your experience may
be different.

All the best, Barbara.  And be kind to yourself, please.

Remind me are you on MDI?