From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: 04 December 2002 08:34
To: email @ redacted
Cc: email @ redacted
Subject: Danielle's visit to Consultant today - VERY LONG MESSAGE

The visit to Danielle's Consultant started well but didn't end that way!
After seeing the extremely happy DSNs, the Consultant asked Danielle a few
questions.  He said "How are you feeling?".  She said "Fine".  He said "Is
it a pain to carry the pump around with you all the time?".  She said "No,
it doesn't hurt".  He said "I mean, is it annoying you to carry this pump
everywhere with you?".  She said "No, I'm used to it".  He said "So in what
way do you feel better?".  She didn't answer him so he said "Do you feel
like you have more energy?".  She said "Yes and I don't feel diabetic any
more".  He beamed a big smile and said that that was very good.

He then turned to me and the pump nurse who accompanied me to help me with
any misconceptions he might have had with the pump.  I told him that I was
still having problems with the breakfast shooting the blood sugar up too
high.  We discussed what we were doing about this problem and then went on
to talk about her weight increase of 3 lbs in 4 weeks!  He was very happy
with that but told me that she was still underweight so he wasn't worried if
she continues to put more on. (She is 4 st 11 and looks perfect now to be
honest.  She is 4 ft 6" (107 cms) and is 8 years old).  He asked to look at
her infusion set and the areas where previous sets had been.  He asked if
there was anything else I wished to talk about.  I said:-

"Our GP has applied for funding and he may need to ask you for your
support".  He said "Well you know my views on this".  I said "Well I don't
agree".  He said "What don't you agree with?"  I said "You think I haven't
tried hard enough to control her diabetes with injections".  He said "You
haven't".  I said "I have tried my hardest.  Diabetes isn't just one hour at
the clinic you know".  He interrupted with "One hour! That's a long time".
I said "I have to live every minute of every day trying to control her
diabetes and you see a bit of it once every 3 months".  He said "I know, but
you were looking for the icing on the cake.  Soon after your daughter was
diagnosed, all of a sudden you came to me asking about the pump.  You were
determined to get it and you were not prepared to look at her diet and
insulin to achieve better control".  I said "I worked hard to achieve the
best control I could on injections".&n bsp; He said "No, you tried to match
the insulin to the diet without changing her diet too".  I told him that I
didn't need to change her diet because it was a healthy one before she was
diabetic.  He told me that I was not feeding her the correct food that was
suitable for a diabetic.  I said "What sort of diet do you think I was
giving her?"  He said "You fed her Frosties".  I said "That was ONE
morning!".  He said "Yes, but you didn't understand why she had a high blood
sugar afterwards".

I told him that I did understand everything and that I was not happy with
his views.  He said "OK, if I had a set of patients who wanted the pump and
I had to prioritise, you would not be put forward as a family who filled
that criteria".  When I asked him why, he said "What makes you think that
you are more suitable for a pump than all my other patients?"  I said "Not
all of your patients would want one and they have to understand diabetes
enough to want to take control of it and be prepared to test their blood
often enough to pick up possible DKA".  He said "Well what makes you think
you are suitable?".  I said "Because I have done everything I can to get
control and have not achieved it in 14 months".  He told me that I haven't
given it long enough.  He told me that I had to prove that I could control
diabetes better than any of his other patients who achieve tight control on
injections and diet.  He went on to say that the only thin g he could
possibly report to the GP is a change in the HBA1c if that happens.

Anyway folks, I watched my daughter go grey under her eyes and lose lots of
weight.  I wasn't prepared to watch this happen any longer!!!!!

Mum to Danielle, dx Aug 2001, on pump trial
D myself for 29 years