[IPk] Danielle's visit to Consultant today - VERY LONG MESSAGE

The visit to Danielle's Consultant started well but didn't end that way!
After seeing the extremely happy DSNs, the Consultant asked Danielle a few
questions.  He said "How are you feeling?".  She said "Fine".  He said "Is it
a pain to carry the pump around with you all the time?".  She said "No, it
doesn't hurt".  He said "I mean, is it annoying you to carry this pump
everywhere with you?".  She said "No, I'm used to it".  He said "So in what
way do you feel better?".  She didn't answer him so he said "Do you feel like
you have more energy?".  She said "Yes and I don't feel diabetic any more".
He beamed a big smile and said that that was very good.

He then turned to me and the pump nurse who accompanied me to help me with
any misconceptions he might have had with the pump.  I told him that I was
still having problems with the breakfast shooting the blood sugar up too
high.  We discussed what we were doing about this problem and then went on to
talk about her weight increase of 3 lbs in 4 weeks!  He was very happy with
that but told me that she was still underweight so he wasn't worried if she
continues to put more on. (She is 4 st 11 and looks perfect now to be honest.
 She is 4 ft 6" (107 cms) and is 8 years old).  He asked to look at her
infusion set and the areas where previous sets had been.  He asked if there
was anything else I wished to talk about.  I said:-

"Our GP has applied for funding and he may need to ask you for your support".
 He said "Well you know my views on this".  I said "Well I don't agree".  He
said "What don't you agree with?"  I said "You think I haven't tried hard
enough to control her diabetes with injections".  He said "You haven't".  I
said "I have tried my hardest.  Diabetes isn't just one hour at the clinic
you know".  He interrupted with "One hour! That's a long time".  I said "I
have to live every minute of every day trying to control her diabetes and you
see a bit of it once every 3 months".  He said "I know, but you were looking
for the icing on the cake.  Soon after your daughter was diagnosed, all of a
sudden you came to me asking about the pump.  You were determined to get it
and you were not prepared to look at her diet and insulin to achieve better
control".  I said "I worked hard to achieve the best control I could on
injections".  He said "No, you tried to match the insulin to the diet without
changing her diet too".  I told him that I didn't need to change her diet
because it was a healthy one before she was diabetic.  He told me that I was
not feeding her the correct food that was suitable for a diabetic.  I said
"What sort of diet do you think I was giving her?"  He said "You fed her
Frosties".  I said "That was ONE morning!".  He said "Yes, but you didn't
understand why she had a high blood sugar afterwards".

I told him that I did understand everything and that I was not happy with his
views.  He said "OK, if I had a set of patients who wanted the pump and I had
to prioritise, you would not be put forward as a family who filled that
criteria".  When I asked him why, he said "What makes you think that you are
more suitable for a pump than all my other patients?"  I said "Not all of
your patients would want one and they have to understand diabetes enough to
want to take control of it and be prepared to test their blood often enough
to pick up possible DKA".  He said "Well what makes you think you are
suitable?".  I said "Because I have done everything I can to get control and
have not achieved it in 14 months".  He told me that I haven't given it long
enough.  He told me that I had to prove that I could control diabetes better
than any of his other patients who achieve tight control on injections and
diet.  He went on to say that the only thing he could possibly report to the
GP is a change in the HBA1c if that happens.

Anyway folks, I watched my daughter go grey under her eyes and lose lots of
weight.  I wasn't prepared to watch this happen any longer!!!!!

Mum to Danielle, dx Aug 2001, on pump trial
D myself for 29 years