Re: [IPk] Recognising errors in site changing

Hello all

To add even more detail to people's Silhouette-tender techniques.....

I take the front backing paper off and hold the set between my thumb and
middle finger, leaving my index finger free to hold the sticky part away
so it doesn't stick before I want it to.

I confess to using surgical spirit before putting the site in.  It
"de-oils" the area, which I find helps the site stay put, and it dries
really quickly - saving me from hanging around for what seems like
ages waiting for my tum to dry off.

>From: "Diana Maynard" >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
>Subject: Re: [IPk] Recognising errors in site changing >Date: Tue, 3 Dec
2002 11:39:19 -0000 > >Please do your share and make a tax deductible
donation to the FALL >pledge drive. Your help is needed to raise the
remaining funds >necessary for Oct, Nov, Dec. Won't you please give $10
or $20 a year? > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Hmm,
the way I do it is to insert the needle, remove the front backing and
>stick it down, remove the back backing and stick it down, and then
remove >the needle. >Some people do it differently, but that's the way I
find the easiest. >Di >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Karen Hanna
Kruzycka" >To: >Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:28 AM >Subject: Re:
[IPk] Recognising errors in site changing > > > > On Monday 02 Dec 2002
22:39, Louis wrote: > > > > > The last three set changes have resulted in
redness and swelling under >the > > > Tender window within hours,
accompanied by no significant drop in BG's. >As > > > with injections, my
insertion technique is quite slow (slower than the > > > video
demonstration on the insulin-pumpers site - tho without broadband >it > >
> is hard to tell how fast the needle is being inserted!). The
>ultra-sticky > > > plaster often sticks to the surrounding skin, before
the cannula (led by > > > the needle) has been fully inserted. This can
lead to having too much > > > cannula not inserted into the skin, and
potentially a set that is not > > > 'fully' inserted. Hope this makes
sense so far.... > > > > Just checking - you're not removing the plastic
backing from the adhesive > > areas *before* inserting the needle, are
you? If you were that would make >the > > insertion very fiddly! You need
to take the backing off the 'front' half > > after you've inserted the
needle, stick that half down, remove the needle, > > then do likewise
with the back half. > > > > Explaining this sort of thing in text is
quite difficult, isn't it? I >keep > > wanting to wave my arms around to
help my explanation :) > > > > Karen