[IPk] severe night hypos

Jackie: you  are correct
If left severely low ie unconscious for a prolonged time brain damage cam
occasionally follow
However, in many cases unconciousness would cease as a counterregulatory
response kicks in. (less likely with frequent hypos/ diminished glycogen
stores I believe)
The only time I ever came across this was when working in A and E. It happened
to a lad who habitually overdosed ( major psychiatric probs here) and
allegedly took mega doses when he decided to do this
I was told that damage can occur after 4 hours of neuroglycopaenia (inadequate
glucose for brain function) but as above, it does not always happen and I am
not sure that damage couldn't occur before this.
So yes, the potential is there but it only happens over a long time