Re: [IPk] Is it really that good?

Dear Both,

Well, no it doesn't make the diabetes go away.  So if he's hoping for
that, that won't happen.  It also increases, rather than decreases the
amount of time needed to be spent working on diabetic stuff.

The pump has added a persistant skin irritation/allergy and possibly
added asthma to my list of medical problems.  However, the pump has made
my chaotic lifestyle a lot less potentially damaging, long term.

It also is a regime which I was pretty much doing before, but was always
frowned upon by the medical profession (i.e. matching insulin to
lifestyle rather than the other way round, assessing carbohydrates
rather than 'eating healthily', assuming that I had control of my
diabetes and that the medicos were consultants for me to consult, etc.)

Yeah - I was like a woman getting a new BMW too!

The pump manufacturers let you try the pump for a few weeks, so you
might see some results in that time (I saw wonderful improvements in the
first few weeks, but am told that is untypical).

Best wishes,

(dm for more than 30 years, a 508 user for nearly nine months)

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>I am Julian's partner.  I am worried that he is expecting to much from this
>pump.  He is currently looking through all the Disetronic info on an almost
>constant basis, just like a man buying a new BMW.  He has a few health problems
>that could be associated with his diabetes.  Some of the main being constant
>tiredness, some people would call it just being lazy.  He also gets irratable
>often. Sometimes in the past things have got so bad he has ended up having
>Nobody has ever been able to decide whether it is epilepsy or his diabetes.  I
>am worried that this pump may not be the miricle he is hoping for and that he
>will find that he has wasted his money.  The local health trust does not fund
>pumps around here.  I would be very grateful for your comments, particularly
>from people who experienced health problems prior to going on the pump and have
>found some of them to be resolved.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)