From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [IPk] Cathator Life

> >Does anyone have similar experience, and is there anyone with many
> >years of pumping behind them who can enlighten me about the
> >long-term effects on theskin?
>
> Tony -
>
> I use Tenders (which is the same as a Silhouette - it's flexible and can
go in at a shallow angle) and I change every 2 or 3 days. My main "logic"
for doing this is that I expect to be pumping for many years yet, and I want
to keep my infusion sites in good condition. The longer you leave an
infusion set in place, the worse the scarring damage is under the skin in
the fat. You can't see it, but next time you revisit near that point the
insulin may be absorbed less predictably - which is not a good thing.

> I've also read that metal needles cause a lot more tissue damage under the
skin than the flexible plastic ones. I know several people who have pumped
for a long time (>15 years) who report taking breaks from pumping because of
absorbtion problems, but that may be because of metal needle damage. I don't
know.

> I also have fairly sensitive fair skin, and after a few days the site can
get mangy and red. I'm told this is not an infection, but rather an allergic
skin response, and rigorous cleaning doesn't prevent it.

> That's why I change regularly and frequently. I'm thankful that I now get
my sets for free. When I used to pay for my sets, and money was tight, it
was always a tough decision.