[IPk] follow up to urgent request

Hi all -

Just an update: my partner's cousin (who is 6 1/2, not 5 - where did that 18
months go to?) was indeed diagnosed with diabetes - Bg on admittance 33.1
mmol. So I now have two diagnosis anniversaries in my diary - hers and mine.

Thanks for the replies - I have finally ordered that book, Ingrid, one for
them and one for me. Melissa, that was a lot of typing! But I wasn't very
clear - I was looking for details of any tests they might perform to test
beta cell function, other than the c-peptide. And Tony, I am with John on
this - your cure in seven years is to me a holy grail. By all means let's
try and find it, but let's also do everything we can now to prevent
complications in future. And as she's been sent into the big bad world on
one shot a day, she'll need all the extra tools she can get. My agenda is
trying to get us all the tools we can get to help us prevent those
complications - that's all! And my experience of diabetes is that the more
agendas you're introduced to, the more likely you are to find the tools that
help keep you together. So, Julian (from another thread), my advice would be
to scan those research papers from far far away, because you may find what
you need there and your locals mightn't be working on it at all.

I was happy to hear that the cousin's asthma/eczema management is going to
be taken over by her diabetes consultant. They're expecting to reduce her
steroid usage. I don't know anymore details than that. Of course, it would
probably help if her parents were stricter on the milk issue, but they have
a lot of things to deal with at the moment.

But wait! There's more, which I'll include under separate cover.