Re: [IPk] Bolus for alcohol?

Hi Richie
I rarely drink beer these days because it tends to have rather unpredictable
effects on my BG levels, and because I tend to get a bad hangover from it.
So I usually drink either wine or vodka and diet Coke. For those two, I don't
bolus, but if I drink a lot (more than about 4 units) I lower my basal
overnight and the next day. If I do drink beer, I bolus approx 1-2 units per
pint, and then lower my basal as before if I've had more than about a pint.
Everyone's response to alcohol is different so you just need to test and
figure out what works for you. I think most doctors frown on taking insulin
for the alcohol - mainly because of the high risk of hypos the following
night, so they'd rather you just ran a bit high and avoided the risk. Also
unless you're on  a pump, it's not very convenient to keep taking insulin to
match your alcohol intake, so it's not something they really consider.
Hope that helps
Di