Re: [IPk] Bolus for alcohol?

Richie,

I do exactly the same as you and bolus 2 units per
pint of lager (so much easier on the pump than on
injections!). Otherwise I go sky high. I then take a
temporary low basal for a couple of hours when I go to
bed to prevent hypo.
I have also found in the past that medics frown on the
idea of taking insulin to balance the sugary drink,
but I think they are just trying to cover their backs.

Good luck!
Jenny (6 month pumper)

--- email @ redacted wrote:
> With christmas coming up my dietitian was asking me
> about practices when drinking alcohol. She was
> shocked when I said I took a couple of units for
> every pint or two of beer (Carlsberg) as the night
> goes on. I said this was preferable to coming home
> ith a BG of 16 and having to take a large correction
> bolus before collapsing into bed with alcohol on
> board and all its overnight ramifications. I thought
> I was being sensible!  Does anyone else do this?
> (I have not been boozing since converting to the
> pump)
> Regards,
> Richie Walsh (new pumper)

> HELP@insulin-pumpers.org