RE: [IPk] intense contact after commencing treatment and weight g ain

Hi Mary

I saw your comment regarding Tony's e-mail and the ammount of
contact follwing the onset of pump treatment.  I had a week
of training with saline.  Every day I was phoned and told to
do something (change the clock, vary basal rates, try a
square wave bolus etc).  After the first week I went on to
insulin.  The first day I was phoned 3 or 4 times and for the
next four days I was phoned twice a day.  I found this very
reassuring but I had very few problems.  I was fortunate in
that my BGM's settled down very quickly.

As for the question about weight gain - Do most pumpers gain
weight?  I thought it was the reverse as less insulin should
mean a small weight loss?  Perhaps it depends on your reason
for swapping to a pump.  As mine was severe night-time
hypoglycaemia (an effect of dawn phenomena.  My choice was
either too low at 2 am or too high at 7 am.  I chose the
former) then stabilising my BGM's meant no more chocolate
eating in the night and a 9lb weight loss since I started on
my pump.  The weight loss seems to have stopped now
unfortunately.  I guess nothing good lasts forever!

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader

Phone: 0118  929 2422