[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V1 #652

Hi folks,

Waking up with those bgs certainly isn't ideal :-(, while injecting and
until I got the pumping side sorted out this was a regular and unpleasant
occurance for me too.  These are very early days, though.

I agree with Tony that the evening meal can play havoc with your control
unless you've worked it out: the effects of CHO, fat and protein are a bit
different from those you'll have been used to with injectable insulin and
can last for hours - you may not be familiar with accounting so precisely
for them (a large CHO meal particularly if fatty - pasta or pizza,
perhaps -or a high fibre meal, particularly veggie). It's worth spending
time with the books, although individual variation is enormous.  Alcohol
will also have an effect.  I usually need to give a 2-3 hour square bolus
for such meals, and if they're eaten late that will have an effect into the
night, and a knock-on to the morning.

You must work out your own CHO:insulin ratio - the guidelines are only
guidelines, and mine certainly bear no relation to those predicted (which
caused problems in early days). I had problems with the pump for about four
months, not days!, it took a while for things to settle down and also for me
to realise that a different cannula length was more appropriate.  (And I'm a
medic!). Hopefully things will settle down, but if they don't you might like
to think about these factors, and I'd be happy to discuss any issues.

I'm interested in Tony's experience of such intense contact after commencing
treatment.  Can  you provide details, Tony?  Is more than 24 hours
necessary? Does this happen elsewhere in the UK?

IDDM 30 years; Pumper 13 months and best control I've ever had; over 40 and
enjoying middle age!