[IPk] Re: pump user survey

Hi everyone,

I've been talking to a few people about running a survey among pump users
(or their parents for under 16 year-olds). The aim of such a survey would

1    To identify what kind of people use a pump at the moment, eg age, sex,
employment status, length of time with diabetes, type of diabetes and so on.
2    People's experience with pumps, eg convenience, problems and
breakdowns, glucose control etc.
3    The current cost people have to undertake in buying and using a pump
4    To measure the change in 'quality of life' if any, on starting with a
5    To clarify people's suggestions and ideas for improving pumps, and for
funding and suplying them

I intend to run this survey on the web. Thus, I'll send a mail with the site
address, and by clicking on it you are taken to the survey, which you can
then complete and submit just like any other web form. The survey will be
confidential, only basic information will be requested, no names, home or
e-mail addresses.

The survey will be carried out by a web company used to handling
confidential data. The survey, and its results, will be owned by me, a GP
who is Secretary of the Diabetes Federation of Ireland and a member of the
board of International Diabetes Federation Europe. It will not be offered
for sale or used in any way which might be considered unethical. Essentially
it will be treated as a medical research project.

This is potentially a very valid survey, and may be publishable in an
influential medical journal. Even though it is not a random selection of
pump users, it will reach a large number of users across the UK and Ireland.

At this stage, I'm planning the process, and I would welcome any responses.
Is this idea acceptable to members of the list, or is it intrusive and
unwelcome? Would members be interested in going through such a survey, which
will probably take around 15 minutes? Do you have a particular concern which
needs to be addressed by this survey, besides the critical one of funding
and areas already mentioned above? Finally, are members prepared to answer
with COMPLETE HONESTY (sorry for shouting!), as this is crucial for the
credibility of the results!

Let me know your thoughts, and don't hold your breath, this won't be
available until the new year. It'll probably be alive for around 3 weeks,
then we'll close it and analyse the results.

Please respond either through the list or directly to me at
email @ redacted

Tony O'Sullivan
T1 26 yr, 508 4 months