Re: [IPk] How to get pump funding...

First, you must obtain the backing of your diabetes team and/or your GP. Get
them to support your request in writing, stating the reasons why the pump
will be beneficial to you. The best reason is, "On the grounds of clinical
need." Our experience has shown that, "A Better Quality of Life," is not
accepted by most Health Authorities as a valid reason for changing to a

Be prepared to show that you have been doing your best to control your own
diabetes. Consultants see many patients who present a blood stained logbook
with very few BG readings, and who have no explanation as to what they have
been doing, or why.

Documentary evidence you will need:

A detailed log of your control, prior to starting pump therapy. This should
include, levels of HbA1c, number of Hypo's, any Ketones in urine, days off
sick, hospital visits, hospitalisation, etc. Insulin usage, any
complications, medical or social problems.

If you are on a pump, do the same for the period you have been on the pump
and then chart the results, do it the way you feel most comfortable with.
After all, you are the one who will have to present it. If you can download
the information from your BG meter and provide graphs, so much the better.
Be prepared to answer questions about abnormal readings.

You will also need copies of relevant clinical studies that have been
undertaken, these can be obtained from us, free of charge.

Where to obtain funding:

First. Your Local Health Authority, write to the Chief Executive or the
Consultant in Public Health. We have written to all of them, but check with
us first, we may know the criteria your authority applies. We will also
supply you with a copy of the letter sent to your authority.

Second. Your local Primary Care Group, (your GP will have the details). You
may find that your PCG will only want to fund the supplies element of pump
therapy, e.g. Infusion sets, etc., although many are beginning to fund the
pump as well, again check with us.

If you still cannot get funding contact us, we have many avenues and may be
able to help.

We can also help with the writing of your letter, we have successful
experience in this and are willing to assist you if required.

The list of Health Authorities and Primary Care Groups that will assist in
funding pumps grows daily, so keep in touch and please do let us know how
you get on.

John Davis.