[IPk] Pumps and travelling

	I have just had my first time zone change experience with the pump -
it all went very smoothly.  What I did was change to US time on landing (day
time flight) and then, on the return, I had my evening meal bolus, ate my
meal and then two hours later changed to UK time - otherwise I would have
missed out on my higher overnight basals if I had changed time on landing.
Not sure if this is following the guidance to the letter, but it worked for
me, so I am happy!

	One clear difference I noticed was that I did not go through the
usual terrible lows and highs associated with travelling and changing time
zones and eating the rubber chicken served on planes - a big step forward!!

	Life is certainly getting better!!

	Audrey Sheal
	IDDM 20 years +
	Minimed 508 - 8 weeks

> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:00:41 +0000
> From: Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IPk] pumps and travelling
> I've just come back from a 10-day business trip to the US, where I
> discovered 2 important things about pumping and travelling. Well, probably
>  more than 2, but I can't think what the others are.
> (1). You can reuse a reservoir quite a lot if you have to! As I got on the
> plane, I realised that I had plenty of spares of everything, except
> reservoirs (for a Minimed pump). And I knew I had already used the current
> reservoir in my pump 3 times. And not a single spare reservoir (it's the
> one thing I don't carry an emergency spare of). I managed a good 3
> refills,
> making a total of 6 uses of the reservoir, and nothing untoward happened
> (not that I'm recommending it!).
> (2) Time zones. The method I tried last time I was in the US worked very
> well. It sounds a bit odd, but as soon as you get on the plane, you reset
> the time on the pump to your new time zone, and reset all the basals to
> your usual lowest. Then once you start getting accustomed to the new time
> zone, you change them to what they would normally be (I do it all at once
> ,
> but some people do it gradually I believe).
> My normal basals are:
> midnight -3am 1.1
> 3am - 7.30am 1.2
> 7.30am - 11.30am 1.3
> 11.30 am - midnight 1.0
> So, i set everything to 1.0. My Bgs were perfect for the first 2 days.
> Then
> they rose during the next night, so i reset my basals to their normal
> rates, and everything worked fine. Oh, and I increased my daytime basal to
> my "conference" setting (I need a higher basal when I'm in meetings,
> conferences etc. all day, because I'm just sitting around all day).
> Same thing on the way back, except I learned something else. (I knew it
> was
> more than 2!)
> (3) When you've had no sleep (or a severe shortage), your body goes into
> stress mode (at least, mine does) which means you need more insulin.
> Di
Scottish Enterprise Network