[IPk] pumps and travelling

I've just come back from a 10-day business trip to the US, where I
discovered 2 important things about pumping and travelling. Well, probably
 more than 2, but I can't think what the others are.

(1). You can reuse a reservoir quite a lot if you have to! As I got on the
plane, I realised that I had plenty of spares of everything, except
reservoirs (for a Minimed pump). And I knew I had already used the current
reservoir in my pump 3 times. And not a single spare reservoir (it's the
one thing I don't carry an emergency spare of). I managed a good 3 refills,
making a total of 6 uses of the reservoir, and nothing untoward happened
(not that I'm recommending it!).

(2) Time zones. The method I tried last time I was in the US worked very
well. It sounds a bit odd, but as soon as you get on the plane, you reset
the time on the pump to your new time zone, and reset all the basals to
your usual lowest. Then once you start getting accustomed to the new time
zone, you change them to what they would normally be (I do it all at once ,
but some people do it gradually I believe).
My normal basals are:
midnight -3am 1.1
3am - 7.30am 1.2
7.30am - 11.30am 1.3
11.30 am - midnight 1.0

So, i set everything to 1.0. My Bgs were perfect for the first 2 days. Then
they rose during the next night, so i reset my basals to their normal
rates, and everything worked fine. Oh, and I increased my daytime basal to
my "conference" setting (I need a higher basal when I'm in meetings,
conferences etc. all day, because I'm just sitting around all day).

Same thing on the way back, except I learned something else. (I knew it was
more than 2!)

(3) When you've had no sleep (or a severe shortage), your body goes into
stress mode (at least, mine does) which means you need more insulin.