RE: [IPk] Diabetes Update pump article

Yes, how we manage our condition is a personal choice indeed.  Some are
happy with flexibility some are not.  Some eat well to assist good control
and some do not.  Some opt for tight control and some do not.  It's up to
the individual.  Flexibility and lifestyle comes at a price (increased
self-care responsibility and probably financial if pumping is chosen) and
many can't be bothered with that.

I believe that we need to be able to choose what works for us.  If that
choice is flexibility and lifestyle (plus great control) by using a pump
then our clinicians need to support this choice both clinically and
finanically, and to not restrict our options with a rigid dogma.

John is dead right in that a straight numbers game is misleading in terms of
overall patient care.  This is starting to gain accpetance here at my health
centre.  My report of my pump trial has helped to enlighten those in the
medical profession I believe, fingers crossed!

Regards to all.

Mike

PS:	How was the ball Di? :)
__________________

>But when I try to persuade him to switch to a more flexiblem regime
>such as MDI, he claims he doesn't need the flexibility because his
>lifestyle is fixed. but yet he is very envious of the freedom that I
>have on a pump. His attitude is "if you're a diabetic you have to eat
>breakfast, you have to eat on time, etc." rather than "Since I hvae a ifxed
>lifestyle i don't need any flexibility". I think  there are probabyl
>many people out there like that. Certainly many doctors are still
>sadly of this opinion.

Di - I understand and agree 100%.

If you could open your father's cage, and he chose not to come out, that is
clearly his right, but it fills me with intense sadness.

It concerns me greatly that doctors talk chiefly about glycemic control,
and rarely about quality of life. For me, my stabler bg's probably come
second to the immense increase in my quality of life, and improved sense of
freedom and wellness. But such things can't be easily measured on a numeric
scale...

John

--
mailto:email @ redacted