Re: [IPk] Diabetes Update pump article

In message <l03130305b46c8135170c@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
Quoting Dr Pickup
>>Some busy or much-travelled people with an erratic lifestyle who often
>>delay or omit meals may find stable control easier to achieve with a pump
>>than injection therapy
>This was the comment which caused my wife to raise her eyebrows. How many
>people did she know (without diabetes) who lead busy and erratic
>lifestyles? Answer: most of them! It seems to be the norm these days.
>Mother and kids sitting on bus... student at university... office worker
>trying to get the contract finished... We are all leading crazy lives which
>can be combined with good DM control with a pump.
I thought he was talking about me, at this point!  (There's hope for
me+pump yet, it seems, I thought).

But your wife's comment is so right.  When I think about my co-workers
and friends, I can think of only a part-time secretary in her late 50s,
who goes home regularly at 3.00, and so has plenty of 'slippage' between
home-time and dinnner-time, a couple of toddlers and one of their
mothers.  Everyone else, from another toddler to my mother-in-law (in
her 70s) have lives which can be characterised as 'full and varied':
erratic.  One day exercising a lot, the next day sitting still.  One day
eating banquets, the next day picking at lettuce.

Maybe we're the odd ones.  Maybe we come from odd families, and attract
odd people as our friends, maybe 98% of the population really does find
changing the sand-sheet in the budgie's cage the high-point of the week.
But I feel that the 'regular lifestyle' is, like the diet-sheet meal of
meat, potatoes, two vegetables, a hot dessert with custard and a cup of
tea, something that happened in the past: the present is a different
country, and we do things differently here.

Best wishes to all
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)