Re: [IPk] Pump makes

>I have read with interest your postings over the last couple of days since
>joining the list. I am trying to find out as much about pumps as possible
>before I go ahead and try one! So far I know of two pump manufacturers -
>MiniMed and Disetronic - are there any others available in the UK that I
>should be looking at?

Hi Tanya.

MiniMed and Disetronic are indeed the only 2 pump manufacturers currently
supplying pumps in the UK.

>Does anyone know of any impartial comparison between the different makes
>that I could read? Or any pointers as to what I should be looking out for?

There's a good comparison of pumps at
http://www.diabetesnet.com/insulinpumps.html. The Sooil pump is not yet
sold in the UK, and the Animas pump is not yet commercially approved. The
Dahedi, although sold by Disetronic, does not seem to be available (can
anyone at Disetronic confirm what they are doing with the Dahedi?)

Choosing between the MiniMed 508 and Disetronic H-TRONplus V100 is tricky,
since they are both equally good. It's like choosing a car - you eventually
do it on hunch/colour etc :-) (I would give the MiniMed 505 a miss, btw,
since this is a very primitive version, missing many of the useful
features, like different basal rates at different times of the day and

A couple of pointers: Disetronic have just announced that they are ending
their 4-year life-limit on their pumps, which is good news. And the new
MiniMed 508 looks great, but I don't know of anyone yet who has road-tested
one. The remote control looks useful for women who  like to hide their pump
in certain discrete places - from where it's not convenient to retrieve it
in full public view :-)

I have a MiniMed 507 which is very similar to the 508, and one criticism I
do have is that it "clicks" everytime it gives you 0.1 of unit. In a noisy
or normal environment it is not audible. But in a quiet environment it is,
and being a classical musician this really bugs me sometimes. I was at a
performance in Berlin a month ago, and in a loud bit I gave myself a 2 unit
bolus. Then suddenly the orchestra went very quiet, leaving my pump
embarrassingly clicking away, fully audible in the silence of the
auditorium around me...

mailto:email @ redacted