Re: [IPk] diabetes = can't eat ANYTHING

Hi Vicki
I'm sure there are still some other things you can eat without a spike,
I mean you can't have tested every breakfast cereal, for example!
Also just because you get a spike/drop doesn't mean you can't eat those
foods. You just have to figure out a way round it. For example, you may
need to take your insulin earlier,or you may need to bolus more and then
reduce your basal later.
For example if you take 3 units of insulin for your noodles, and you
normally go up to 15mmol/l an hour later, and then down to 4mmol/l  3
hours later, you could try taking 4 units when you eat, then reducing
your basal to half between 1-3 hours after you eat. There will be a way
round everything, but it's a question of how much you're willing to
experiment with insulin, timing etc. Also with the combinations of food.
For example if you spike with noodles on their own, adding fat and
protein may prevent the spike.
So don't despair yet, just keep experimenting!
Di