Re: [IPk] Another holiday pump problem

email @ redacted writes:

> There is a blue cap which covers the needle on the
> Quick-Sets and when I looked at the new ones the cap was floating around
> inside the packaging.  This effectively allowed the needle to bend.  On
> arriving home I checked the remaining sets in the box and they are all the
> same.
Hi Karen,

Very sorry to hear about your experiences.

I also use Quick-Sets and like you have found that the blue cap has come off
when I open the new set - in about 80-90% of sets.  Hasn't caused any problems
though as the cap and the part with the needle have stayed in their plastic
"roof compartment", if you know what I mean.  I travel frequently at home and
abroad but have never had any problems with crushing.

The fact that the caps come off so frequently is a potential problem itself
as the needle and other parts of the set could be damaged or set sterility
 compromised. I haven't taken this up with Medtronic as it hasn't actually
me a problem, that doesn't mean it can't so it would be worth doing pursuing
this - could you do that?

When I travel I always pack my pump equipment in a box and away from heavy
items (we use very sturdy suitcases and pack items to disperse weight over the
 case, so even if the cases were mishandled there would be soft items protecting
more vulnerable items). I'd suggest that you try to work out how the crushing
occurred so that you can take steps to prevent it happening again.

IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 nearly 3 years now...