Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #484

Heather, get thee an HbA1c at thy GP's office!! Just phone up and make an
appointment with the nurse. If you get asked why, say it's for a haemoglobin
A1c. If you get asked if the doctor ordered the test, say yes (they should
want to know only because it's possible that a random punter would not know
what an HbA1c is and would request one without it being appropriate). If
*anyone* in the practice tells you you shouldn't have an HbA1c except 1x or
2x/year, tell him or her to call me and I'll explain things (I'll give you
my phone number off-list if you e-mail me at email @ redacted).

The US protocol for type 1s is an HbA1c every 3 months. I get one 5x/year,
but it remains the case that an HbA1c really only refers to the general
trend of things about 6ish weeks before the test (that's the latest I've
heard; someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The idea that an HbA1c is necessary only 1x/year belongs in the same rubbish
bin with the theory that a type 1 needs to test bg only 2x/day. Do not
accept it. Whatever an HbA1c costs the PCT, it's a lot less expensive than

An HbA1c of 7.4 is a bit above decent and is to be a source of pride only if
it's lower than your previous one. If the NICE guidelines say you can be
considered for a pump at 7.5 if you've given Lantus + fast-acting a go, what
is your healthcare team doing telling you to bugger off 'till next year on a
7.4?????????? Have they never read the DCCT (1994) OR their post?!?!?! I
might consider moving hospitals if I were in your shoes.

Exsqueeze me,
baking powder,

IDDM 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7+ years; intolerant of idiocy 22 years