[IPk] Another holiday pump problem

Hi all,

Some of you will remember that Sam's Minimed 508 had a problem last summer,
while we were abroad on holiday.  We upgraded to a Paradigm a few months
ago, which we were very pleased with.  However, this also failed a couple of
weeks ago, at 8pm the night before we were due to go away again - we must be

We were due to leave at 8am the following morning for two weeks in Belgium
and Holland, which left us in a fairly worrying situation.  As you know,
there is currently no "out of hours" UK support available from Medtronic.
The US helpline were sympathetic, but could do little in reality.  We knew
that we needed a replacement/loan pump as the prime function wasn't working.
For those of you with a Paradigm, I'll be a bit more specific.  Basically,
the manual prime facility wouldn't work as the pressure sensor wasn't
detecting the change in pressure as the infusion set tubing filled with
insulin.  The motor just kept whizzing away until the reservoir was empty,
meaning it was impossible to reconnect Sam during a routine set change.

Fortunately, we live very close to Medtronic's office in Watford.  We got
through the night OK with 3 hourly BG tests and manual injections of
Humalog, then packed up the car for our holiday and went to the office to be
there for the start of the day, in the hope that a loan pump would be
available there.  Luckily that was the case (many thanks to Emma for sorting
us out!) and we were able to programme the new pump and connect Sam there,
before setting of for the Channel Tunnel.

The signs that there was a problem were actually apparent at the previous
set change, when nearly half the reservoir was used during the manual prime
procedure.  At the time, I thought that I had pressed the wrong button, so
watch out if you experience this.  This appears to be the first such problem
in this country.

Best wishes.

Father of Sam, aged 9, dx Aug 1996
Pumping 2 years