[IPk] talking about diabetes

What I tend to do is just explain what I'm doing at the time (if it's
convenient!). Like if I went out for a meal, I would say why I was bolusing
and that I counted roughly the carbs in the meal to work out how much
insulin I needed. If we were going for a walk I would reduce my basal rate
and say why. etc etc. I find this approach best as I am a very open person,
and I want people I know well to understand about my diabetes. Being open
means they can ask questions and don't feel afraid as they can see you know
what you're doing. It's also important, as you point out, not to bombard
someone with info - I always reckon it's better to tell someone about
diabetes in little chunks over a longer period of time than all at once and
have them not understand most of it or even worse not tell them at all. Over
time, for me, diabetes goes back to being discrete. I test my BGs and bolus
but don't really talk about it (although my boyf still asks the odd
question - usually about how I sort out my boluses and basals when we go out
for a drink). It seems to work. Inevitably you have to defend why you have a
pump too which for me usually involves drawing pics but I guess it depends
on you and the other person. You are completely right that keeping quiet is
not the way to go :)
About being dependent on a box 24h a day - I can completely sympathise with
that. It was my reaction when my consultant first suggested a pump. I don't
really know whether other people understand how valuable being in control
is, and that it is worth the inconvenience of having a pump. I guess all you
can do is try to explain!
Good luck Di - hope it goes well,