[IPk] re Vitrectomy

Hi Mary

 Hope this catches you before your op. I'm glad to be able to tell you I HAVE
had a vitrectomy and I did stay on my pump throughout it. In summary I had it
done under general anaesthetic last October and it has been a complete success
(in fact the surgeon was so excited about it that he wished he had videoed it!!
I'm relieved he didn't)

 I had said to the consultant from the start that I wanted to stay on my pump
all the way through. When I was 'admitted' I had to answer various
questions and
made it clear again - which then brought two nurses round in great
that I was still taking insulin but not able to eat for the next few hours. I
had to spend about 15 mins explaining to them about still needing a basal
etc and eventually reassured them; I also made it clear that going onto a
sliding scale of actrapid during the operation would completely upset my
for a few days and they accepted that. I kept my bgs reasonable pre-op but kept
having to turn the rate down.
 I took all the operating manuals etc for the pump into hospital with me, and I
did spend a few minutes briefing the anaesthetist - but the basic plan was that
I turned it down to about 70% as far as I remember, and they monitored my bgs
all the way through but didn't need to intervene. My operation was at 7pm,
and I
think I was 'out' for a bit longer than planned, because I took a while to warm
up (!), but once I did so my test was fine, and a nurse then tested me
throughout the night (using their meter) and told me the result so that I could
adjust the pump accordingly. It worked really well and I think they were quite
impressed - and I went home first thing the next morning without a bandage -
just an attractive eye shield for when I went to sleep.

 I did need nearly two weeks off work after it though... I was very tired
(probably due to the general anaesthetic) and didn't want to open the eye too
much (and certainly not study it too closely!), and it needed cleaning quite
regularly. It was uncomfortable and a bit sore - and I certainly didn't want to
focus it on anything, but other than that it really wasn't too bad. The vision
was a bit like looking through plastic - ie not quite clear, for a while
but was
totally clear in a couple of weeks. I did for some reason have to change my
canulas much more often than usual in the first week- but that may have had
something to do with the general anaesthetic which you will be avoiding, or
simply because I wasn't very active.

 I'm going back for more in a month or so - I've got to have my other eye
done... Good luck with yours anyway and let me know if you have any other

T1 for 25 years, H-Tron for 2.5 years

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.