Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs

email @ redacted writes:

> A few months back we had a brief discussion about the assertion in the
> > Ragnar Hanas book that glucose is only absorbed through the digestive
> tract
> > and can not be absorbed through oral mucous membanes. (

We were always taught that glucose CAN be absorbed through mucous membranes,
but it's a long time since we studied physiology (and also threw away our old
books, which might have clarified these points - research was done a long
time ago and without going into library archives it's difficult to find out
more.)  We have found some more recent studies which, while not being totally
relevant to this discussion, are based on the fact that glucose can be
absorbed in this way.  (For example, at the risk of boring you all:
"Carrier-mediated transport systems for glucose in mucosal cells of the human
oral cavity", published in a foreign pharmaceutical journal in 1999,
investigates HOW glucose transport occurs - not IF, because it is already
known that it DOES.)  We don't agree that glucose gels are not effective and
even may be dangerous.  They are designed to be concentrated such that when
applied to the mucous membranes, they will stay there until the glucose has
been absorbed, and they should not be diluted by saliva and swallowed or
trickle down and compromise the airway.  We  have used them on many occasions
in hypoglycaemic children and adults during our combined 18 years of Casualty
experience, with excellent results and without complications.

Glucose gels such as "Hypostop" CAN be used safely to help treat hypos,
especially if delay is likely until definitive treatment can be given.  We
think they SHOULD be used if no other treatment is available.

Mary and Paul
Mary IDDM 30+, 508 21m, medic 20y; Paul married to Mary 20+, still tolerating
her, medic 21y+