Re: [IPk] Update on no funding

Insulin Pumpers is supported entirely through donations. Your contribution
of $1 or $2 per month is needed. Please make your pledge of $10 or more per
year so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve YOU and the diabetes
community.     Visit: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

>He did go on to say that there was another consultant within the local area,
>again practicing from Kendal or Lancaster, called Dr Smith, who had just
>started one patient on a pump, albeit privately, and if I was insisitant,
>then the GP could possibly refer me to see him. But he went on to say there
>was no expertise within the NHS regarding pumps and I would have to rpovide
>my own follow up if I was to 'buy a pump'.
I have very good memories of Lancaster Infirmary in the mid-80s, so
maybe it's still good????

If I were you, I'd go to this Dr Smith.  The consultant who said he
couldn't see a medical need for you to be on a pump, with no experience
of pumps, is not, in my opinion, qualified to make such a judgement. If
there will be a long delay in seeing him on the NHS, see if he has
private patients, and will give you an initial assessment while waiting
to see him on the NHS.

Once Dr Smith has said that there's a need, you can ask for the money
locally (not from Lancaster).

The pump manufacturers will loan you a pump for three months, so you may
well have within a month, some results showing better control which are
all the economic argument you need.

Do also look for alternative sources of funding.  Try Kendal library (I
think that's the biggest reference library to you) for details of local
charities.  Try your union, your church, etc (as applicable) many of
them do have welfare funds, and will, with the support of Dr Smith, be
able to help.

Best wishes,

dm 30+ 508 1+, still without a tankini rejected orange and purple
flowers and orange and purple stripes, and black with a ruffle, off to
M&S tomorrow)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)