RE: [IPk] BG Meters

Hi Lesley,

The number of bg tests I have done in the past 8 years has led to so much
scar tissue (and possibly mild, not-at-all debilitating--in fact quite
convenient--nerve damage) along the sides of my fingertips that I don't
wince when I test anymore. I can feel the pricking most of the time, but it
doesn't bother me. On a psychological level, I have come to *expect* the
fingerprick so much that I hardly react.

I am not bothered about finding alternative sites for testing my bg because
I do not want differing glucose concentrations found in various body parts
to skew my results. I use one meter only unless in a dire situation I need
to use an old one for back-up in order to be sure I'm not switching between
plasma and whole-blood measurements, and by using my fingertips I can be
sure that a change in blood sugar is not down to the place from which the
sample came. Does that make sense?

Boring, stodgy, and with scarred fingertips,

P.S. The lancet pen and the lancets have a lot more to do with the comfort
and convenience of testing than the meter, IMHO. Hands-down (oh, bad pun!) I
prefer the Becton-Dickinson Ultrafine lancets (teal plastic) and the
Becton-Dickinson lancet pen (mine's kinda cream-coloured).