RE: [IPk] BG Meters

Hi Lesley,

The number of bg tests I have done in the past 8 years has led to so much
scar tissue (and possibly mild, not-at-all debilitating--in fact quite
convenient--nerve damage) along the sides of my fingertips that I don't
wince when I test anymore. I can feel the pricking most of the time, but it
doesn't bother me. On a psychological level, I have come to *expect* the
fingerprick so much that I hardly react.

I am not bothered about finding alternative sites for testing my bg because
I do not want differing glucose concentrations found in various body parts
to skew my results. I use one meter only unless in a dire situation I need
to use an old one for back-up in order to be sure I'm not switching between
plasma and whole-blood measurements, and by using my fingertips I can be
sure that a change in blood sugar is not down to the place from which the
sample came. Does that make sense?

Boring, stodgy, and with scarred-fingertips,

P.S. The lancet pen and the lancets have a lot more to do with the comfort
and convenience of testing than the meter, IMHO. Hands-down (oh, bad pun!) I
prefer the Becton-Dickinson Ultrafine lancets (teal plastic) and the
Becton-Dickinson lancet pen (mine's kinda cream-coloured).