Re: [IPk] Quicksets again!

In message <email @ redacted>, Heather Bowler
<email @ redacted> writes
>I've spoken to Hannah Dickinson at Medtronic and she
>advised that both Silhouette and Quick Set both use the same bonding agent
>so if it was a reaction to that you'd get it with the Silhouettes also.
The bonding agent may be the same, but the anti-bacterial agent is
different!  I am very allergic to the anti-bacterial agent on the
Silhouette (came up with a weal along the line of the needle!). I am
rather allergic to either agent or glue on the softset, but not at all
allergic to the glue or agent on the quick set.

The problem with quicksets falling out may not to be a glue problem, but
an insertion problem.  I can't get the gadget to whang them more than a
few mms in. By hand, it's like trying to push a pencil in.  The skin is
simply depressed by the length of the needle/cannula, and wiggling the
point around finds a weak spot, which 'pops', and then my skin creeps
back up to the normal level, around the needle.  Because it isn't
possible to see the insertion point, improperly inserted quick sets can
easily fall out (pushed out by the cannula).

So I put up with mild irritated rash from the softset, because it's less
painful than hand-inserting the quickset.

I've tried using tegaderm under the softset, and think it does make a
difference, but doesn't completely solve the problem.  I'd also like to
try other films - does anyone know where to get them from?

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30 +, 508 1+, absent these past weeks with a neck problem that has
stopped me typing)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)