[IPk] Told no funding

I haven't written in a while. I've been waiting for an appt. with a diabetes
consultant as there has been no consultant available in my home town, Barrow
in Furness (no doubt familiar to all due to the Legionnaires outbreak)! for
some time. I was therefore referred to Westmorland Hospital in Kendal or at
Lancaster, still within our local Primary Health Care trust of Lancaster and
Morecambe Bay, but quite a distance to travel from here.
Anyhow, in the meantime I was seen again by the GP clinic and told my control
was not so good ( HbA1 of 8.5, last time 7.1). I knew my control wasn't good
anymore, lots of highs and lows and have not been happy with this at all and
have told my GP as much. There is no pattern to the highs and lows and even
he was at a bit of a loss as to why this was happening.
Well, still no appt. arrived for the consultant. Then, today, there was a
message on my answer phone from one of the GP's at the practice to say ring
him as he had some news about a pump! I was hopeful and excited as I thought
that maybe he knew of  available funding for this. (There is no way on earth
I could afford to buy a pump myself or buy the sets etc, the only way would
be to get funding). I had been told in the past that, although this is a
large GP practice, no one had ever asked about a pump before and they knew of
no one in the local health trust area either.
 So, I got back to him. He was busy in the surgery at the time and said he
would phone back later. I shouldn't have built my hopes up. Basically, he has
spoken to the consultant in charge of diabetes care in this trust (whom I was
being referred to) and he has said the health authority does not and will not
fund any pumps, they are not available on the NHS and must be purchased
privately by the individual concerned. The only item available on the NHS is
the insulin. Unfortunately, I did not get to talk to the GP as I was at work
at the time so my husband took the message and of course didn't ask any
questions! Now, I have looked at all the info on the site and printed it off
and intend to go see my GP again ASAP. But what I need to know is how to go
about applying for funding if the consultant involved is totally uninterested
in pumping and is basically dead against it?! Apparently, the GP said as much
about the consultant involved, a Professor Walmsley. I can't get an out of
area referral. That's just not happening here anymore.
So, feeling a little (a lot)? down about this set back, I need some advice.
Thanks so much
Helen...IDDM 28yrs