Re: [IPk] Re: Spare Supplies

Hi Caroline

On Saturday 17 August 2002 15:22, you wrote:
> I can't believe that several of you have never had to use a syringe/pen to
> inject in such long lengths of time. In three months of pumping I've had at
> least three episodes os high blood sugars where a syringe has seemed like
> the most sensible option (along with replacement of the set obviously) Does
> this mean I'm doing something desperately wrong?

No, you're taking precautions by reverting to a syringe when you have a
problem. That's a sensible option, but I don't tend to do this because it
doesn't solve the problem of why my BG was high. Normally if I have an
unexpected high that doesn't respond to a corrective bolus, I check there is
no air in the tubing, and then change the site. 99% of the time this fixes
the problem. If I changed the site, checked everything, and my BG still
didn't come down, and I couldn't think of a reason for the high, then I would
revert to injections until it came down, but that's never happened to me.
Almost all my highs are the result of incorrect bolusing, post-exercise or
post-hypo rebounds, bubbles in the tubing (rare) or poor absorption from the

On Friday morning I changed my set. 2 hours later my BG was high - which
sometimes happens after I do a set change, so I bolused and carried on. An
hour later it was still around 13, so I bolused another couple of units and
went to my gym class at lunchtime. Afterwards my BG was 2.9, so I figured
everything was back under control. At about 4pm my BG had risen to 15. I
thought that was probably the result of some underbolusing at lunchtime, as I
had been a bit cautious about the bolus because of being low. So I bolused
another couple of units. An hour later my BG was at 28! Ouch! Now I knew
something was definitely wrong, so I checked there were no air bubbles and
then removed the set. When I took it out I realised that somehow the cannula
had not only come out, but it had pulled itself completely out from under the
tape and was ABOVE the tape instead of going through the hole in the tape and
under it. So it hadn't even been under my skin at all! I don't know how that
happened. By this time it was 6pm and I had been invited to a barbeque at 7.
I changed the set and debated whether to cancel going out, but I decided to
bolus 6 units and see what happened. I did think about taking insulin by
syringe at this point, but I knew by now it was the fault of the old infusion
set, so I knew that my BG would come down again once I had the new set in.
Anyway, I went to the barbeque, had only a very small amount of carbs, and
got back home at 11pm to find a nice BG of 5.1!
My point is this - in this kind of situation where your BG rises up and stays
high, many people would panic and revert to an injection because they'd be
scared of keeping their BG that high any longer. But by the time I'd realised
that there was definitely something wrong, there was no point because I knew
it was the infusion set that was the problem and that once I'd fixed it my BG
would drop.
Hope that makes sense.

I was interested to resd
> that Di said she would use the insulin out of the reservoir in a syringe if
> needs be. I'm not sure I quite understand how you do this Di.

I use a  Minimed pump - don't know if it would work for a D pump. All you do
it remove the plunger from the end of the reservoir and stick the needle of
the syringe into the open end of the reservoir. Or you can remove the tubing
from the needle end of the reservoir and stick the syring needle in that end

I don't like carrying a bulky insulin pen around so I just carry a syringe
which takes up no room at all.