[IPk] Re: spare supplies, and cost of diabetes

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:22:30 +0100
From: "Caroline Batistoni" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] Re: Spare Supplies

>I can't believe that several of you have never had to use a
>inject in such long lengths of time. In three months of pumping I've
had at
>least three episodes os high blood sugars where a syringe has seemed
>the most sensible option (along with replacement of

Sorry to shock you further - and at the risk of tempting fate and
finding that I need to inject with a syringe or pen tonight - I have
not used anything but the pump since starting to use it almost 4 years
This may partly be because I so much do not want to inject! but really
I have never had a pump failure that was not rectifiable within minutes
(indeed in all this time only 1 serious scare that seemed for a couple
of minutes like a pump failure), and episodes of high blood sugar that
occurred were all so obviously either associated, rarely, with bad
sites which I replaced, or much more frequently, with illness or
miscalculations of insulin amounts (i.e. being unrealistic about what I
really ate!) or forgetting to bolus - i.e. nothing that was not much
much more easily put right using the pump - so no indication that it
would be better to resort to injections.
In times of stress or difficulty or irregular activity, I would 100
times rather have the pump there to deal with them than injections.
Have I been extraordinarily lucky? or do I have extraordinary
confidence in my so-far trusty pump? or are many others out there in a
similar position?

Subject: [IPk] The cost of my diabetes
Out of curiousity, I have done a rework of John's list for my case -
the relative amounts work out slightly differently

                                                            Cost per
Humalog             #20 per 10ml bottle 25 units per day    250
Insulatard          #20                 none
Actrapid            #20                 1 bottle per year   20
Glucose tablets     #1                  none*
BG meter            #30                 0.5 per year        15
BG tests            #10 per 50          2000 per year       400
Ketostix            #10                 1 tub per year      10
Finger pricker      #10                 1 per year          10
Lancets             #10 per box         1 box per 5 year     2
Pump                #2000               7 years (est.)      285
Infusion sets
- - Tenders + tubing  #5 each             2 every 1 week    520
Reservoirs          #2.50               1 every 1 month      30
Syringes            #10 per box         1 box per 5 year      2
Pump batteries      #1 each             1 every 6 weeks       8
I think Disetronic batteries are more expensive though - but don't have
numbers - anyone??
Hospital consultation
                    #100                2 per year          200
Misc. tests (urine, HbA1c etc)
                    #50                                     50

Not quantified:
Internet access
Loss of quality of life
Adopting a special diet
I would add hospital consultations for eye checks and other such things
- not only the cost in money, but also the time spent on all the
assorted doctor's visits.
I also find that whereas pre-diabetes I would not necessarily have gone
to the doctor for every minor flu, sore throat etc, now I am likely to
go quickly, in case there are signs of bacterial infection etc.

Omitted since I don't use them:

Skin barrier
Cleaning compounds
Emergency hospital visits (hypo, DKA etc)

Treatment of complications
Disabled Living Allowance (that's a profit not a cost I suppose)

The amounts work out a little less for me partly simply because I use
less insulin (on average 25 units a day rather than John's 40), and
seem to be able to get away with changing sets only twice a week about
98% of the time.  Because I use less insulin I also need to change
cartidges less frequently, and I have been reusing them once or twice
without problems.

I have only ever (in almost 5 years diabetes) bought one box of
lancets, and more than half the contents still remain - I reuse them
over and over again - for no logical reason I find the used ones hurt
less than new ones, so rarely bother to change.
Incidentally I was quite suprised on return from holiday, when reading
over the discussions in emails 2 weeks ago from people complaining
about the need to test frequently - I still hate injecting (see
above!!) and hate sticking myself with needles when changing sets, but
sticking my fingers for testing, which also bothered me a great deal
initially, is now something about which I do not think twice - I don't
associate it with pain any more - strange.

*I don't buy glucose tablets.
I am trying to work on the principle that if I have to eat something
rapidly for hypos, I would like it not only to be suitable for rapid
absorption of glucose, but also nutritious.  Have currently found some
boiled sweets that are high in glucose, but also contain fruit juice
and vitamin C. Otherwise depending on where I am and what is at hand, I
either eat a small piece of bread or preferably a dried fruit - I have
tried to eat a small discrete piece of food, rather than risk starting
to empty the fridge!! This seems to be working for me at present though
some time I might go back to glucose tablets.

Do You Yahoo!?