Re: [IPk] Spare supplies

Hi John

I didnt think of people using Actrapid when they had to discontinue the pump,
for what ever reason, I just assumed they would use Humalog or Novorapid.  I
have just read a of a really scary episode on the US children with diabetes
list when a child became very ill very quickly and when into DKA in a matter
of hours.  There was some sort of problem with the pump and the parent, for
reasons explained in her email, didnt do follow the correct protocols soon
enough.  I am not saying that by using Actrapid that would have made any
difference to the outcome for that child, but I was just thinking that the
much longer action of the Actrapid would seem to be much better than having to
use many more shots of Humalog or Novorapid especially when you would have no
basal insulin at all.  I suppose it would depend how long you were off the
pump.

Is it more usual for pumpers to use Humalog or Actrapid as a back up, or both
or is the just your personal preference.

I didnt know you could still get 1.5 ml cartridges of Actrapid still.  Also
there is not much you can do with a spare unused cartridge that's been lying
around in a warm wallet.  There are charities that do send unused insulin to
other countries but this obviously has to still be useable .

Jackie