Re: [IPk] Problems with the Quick Set

Hi Heather,

Don't panic, because you will find a solution, even if it takes a bit of time.  It sounds like you've been doing all the right things to be so cautious.

Sam uses Silhouettes, which we insert by hand.  We did try the Quick Sets, but preferred to stick with what we had.  These have a small window, through which you can see the tubing.  In a year we have only had a couple of incidents similar to yours.  Perhaps you should consider changing?  However, I'm sure you were recommended what was thought to be the best for you at the start.  Could it be something to do with technique, or just because he's so small?

Good luck.

Father of Sam, age 8, dx Aug 96
508 12 mths & 4 days

> From: "Heather Bowler" <email @ redacted>
> Date: Sun 11/Aug/2002 08:30 GMT
> To: email @ redacted
> CC: email @ redacted,  email @ redacted
> Subject: [IPk] Problems with the Quick Set
> First, I must say that we are very new to pumping. My son has been using his
> 508 for 2.5wks. Anyway, yesterday we changed his infusion set - we're using
> the 6mm Quick Set with the automatic inserter. All appeared well but we were
> monitoring rising blood glucose. Did all the tests - self test on the pump,
> disconnecting at site, checking for leakages, air bubbles, finally gave a
> corrective injection. On removing the infusion set we discovered that the
> cannula had bent upwards, had not penetrated the skin and was sitting on top
> of the skin. We tried another set and again after rising blood sugars
> suspected the same problem. We did manage to peel enough of the tape back to
> see that again it was bent on the surface of his skin. 3rd time lucky? We
> inspected the automatic inserter (yes we are/were depressing both release
> buttons at the same time) and satisfied that it looked as though it was
> working tried again.  Blood sugars again rising and getting late in the day,
> we peeled back a little tape and it certainly looks as though it's in the
> skin. We disconnected, injected and monitored through the night. This
> morning we have reconnected and bolused for breakfast and if the reading is
> not 'normal' in 2 hrs we shall again remove the infusion set.  All rather
> costly, as we've just been denied funding!  Of course, added to the problem
> we were already running low on sets (we are very new to this!)
> Has anybody any experience of this problem? Our DSN, Sandra at Harrogate has
> suggested that we manually insert this morning if we need to change sets
> again. It's quite a lot for a just 5yr old to put up with.
> Hope somebody can help.
> Heather

Freeserve AnyTime, only #13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890