Re: [IPk] retinopathy

Hi Catherine
Don't be too scared about the laser treatment - it's really nothing to worry
about. I've had as much laser treatment as is physically possible (probably
around 30 sesssions altogether) and have experienced it all!

They will put the dilating drops in your eyes - you'll have had those before
so know what to expect on that front.
Then they put some anaesthetic drops in your eye - which also sting a little.
The they put a sort of contact lens in your eye - which just feels cold and
wet but feels nothing like a contact lens! It doesn't hurt, just feels a bit
weird and means you can't close your eye.
Then you sit at the machine and they start zapping. You'll see a series of
very bright flashes which can be a little bit uncomfortable but they don't
hurt (or at least, very rarely). They'll tell you to look in different
directions. I find it much easier to close the other eye - in fact I find it
closes automatically because of the bright light. The zapping will probably
take about 5 minutes.
Afterwards everything might look pink or black for a few seconds or minutes,
but you'll recover very quickly. You won't be able to see properly because
your pupils will still be dilated. If you're at all nervous then take someone
with you. They can come into the room with you while they're zapping (they
give them a speccial pair of goggles to wear!).
Afterwards your eye might feel a bit uncomfortable - someone described it a
bit like sinusitis - but if necessary take a couple of painkillers and you
should be fine in a few hours. Occasionally you might experience some
deterioration in vision for the following few days or some odd things like
wavy lines in your vision. Don't worry if that happens (though it doesn't
usually) - it's quite normal. You'll probably want to take the rest of the
day off work - though I've had lasering in the early afternoon and then gone
and played in a softball match the same evening!!!

If you have heard about laser treatment being very painful, that only really
happens when you've had a LOT of laser sessions (at least a dozen). likewise
the side effects such as losing peripheral vision don't tend to happen until
you've had a lot of sessions (and generally, one or two sessions are enough
for most people). If at any time you're worried or something starts to hurt,
just tell them. They can slow down or speed up the laser (some prefer it
slow, some fast!) or reduce the intensity if it gets too much.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.