Re: [IPk] retinopathy

Hi Abigail
Sorry to hear about the retinopathy. I have definitely heard that sudden
improved control can bring about deterioration, but as you say, it should
settle so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As you probably know, I have
severe proliferative retinopathy (no doubt as a consequence of poor control
in the past) even though my BP has always been low and so has my cholesterol.

If you do have to have laser, try not to worry about it too much. Most people
only need a couple of sessions to stop it progressing any further, especially
if their control is good at the time, and with only a couple of sessions
you're very unlikely to have any side effects such as loss of your visual
field or loss of sensitivity to changes in light. It's unlikely to hurt
either. Most of those things only happen when you have a LOT of laser. I
never noticed any side effects until I'd had about 20 sessions of laser, but
it's very rare to need that many.
hope that helps