Re: [IPk] Blood tests per day

Hi Steven
I think 4 tests a day is really the minimum you need to do when on a pump,
because you need to spot quickly if there's a problem.
If you don't tend to have much variation in your BGs and you're not e.g.
driving, playing sport, etc. then you're probably quite safe doing that few.
I must say I envy you if your BGs are that stable all day and from day to day!
I wish mine were!

Like John, I use my blood tests to decide how much insulin to take at each
meal, and to ensure that I'm not going to go low or high at a critical
moment, or if I just feel strange (which is most of the time!)

With the Minimed pumps you can also set your basals for each half hour. So
you could have up to 48 different basal rates a day if you wanted! That
doesn't help me much, because my problem isn't that my basal needs are
different at different times of the day, simply that my insulin resistance /
insulin needs vary enormously according to so many indefinable things such as
the weather, my mood, what I've eaten and drunk in the last 24 hours, what
exercise I've done in the last 48 hours, the time of the month, etc. etc. To
a certain extent you can predict how any one of these factors will affect
you, but it's pretty much impossible to predict the end result when you
combine all the different factors together. Just predicting the result when
you combine e.g. exercise and stress (before a competition for example) is
almost impossible.

I'm quite aware though that my body tends to react very strongly to these
factors, whereas other people's may not.