[IPk] retinopathy

6 months back I had a check up with the opthalmologist, who tthought there
were possibly some early changes. Yesterday he had another look. There was
definitely some background retinopathy. This would normally be insignificant,
but it's close to the macula which is vital for vision. I was asked whether
control has deteriorated( no, it's improved from 8.1 to 6.6 in the past 6
months and my blood pressure has returned to normal after a bit of a scare 2
years ago. Also my cholesterol has always been "good"
The plan is to check it again in 4 months. It apparently may regress but if
not he wants to zap it with laser. This will not be done straight away as
laser itself apparently presents some risk.
I wasn't as upset as I thought I would be after hearing such news, as I am
pleased that my control has improved so significantly. But I feel anxious that
I may not be able to maintain this level and also wonder whether this
deterioration occured as a result of quite rapidly tightened control, which is
a recognised phenomenon. At least if this is the case the problem should
settle if control is maintained. I suppose it's far more likely to be a
delayed consequence of a period of suboptimal control
I'm a bit anxious about the side effects of laser therapy. I know many people
on this list have gone through it and would be grateful for some reassurance (
or honest information)