Re: [IPk] Insulin availability, and other matters

That's useful Paul

How common are infections among pump users? I've been injecting insulin for
25 years, and I've only had 2 infections, both many years ago and before
they started using cresol in the insulin. This has made infections almost
impossible for those simply injecting with a needle.

Does the in-dwelling catheter with pump use increase infection risk? This
isn't discussed when starting on a pump, as I just have. Any comments?

Tony O'Sullivan

PS I am a doctor too, and no question about it, when any infection occurs at
a site, do 2 things. 1: dispose of the whole set, and 2: start antibiotics,
preferably long BEFORE an abscess develops!