Re: [IPk] Insulin availability; was "insulin abuse"

>Why would an infection at the site cause a problem with the
>insulin in the cartridge????
>Nothing flows UP the tubing.

Forgive me disagreeing with you, Di :-)

But fluids mix. Isn't it called Brownian motion or something? Bacteria
infected body fluid at the tip of the cannula will slowly mix with insulin
in the tubing, and this could potentially get all the way back up to the
cartridge itself. The same way that blood occasionally creeps back up the
tubing. Except you can see blood. You can't see bacteria.

So I would vote that a site infection is a very good reason for changing
the whole system - cartridge, insulin, tubing and infusion set. Else you
may pump the bacteria back into your new infusion site.

I'm not attempting to quantify anything here. The insulin preparation in
the bottle supposedly has very powerful disinfectant properties. But it
might seem sensible to exclude all risks, lest you end up with blood
poisoning or something stupid like that.

mailto:email @ redacted