Re: [IPk] Insulin availability; was "insulin abuse"

People on this group have said that it's possible to change just the
set, but my nurse said no, and seeing as my supplies are 100% funded,
it's not an issue.  I fill the syringe with two-days heavy use worth,
and if I use less, I use less and throw a bit away.

If I had a bad set (i.e. the only time I'd be caught short, unless I had
an unplanned prolonged stay away from home - and that's very unlikely to
happen), I'd think it even more essential to change everything, as I'd
worry about an infection causing the bad set.

On the heavy use stuff - how much do people vary?  I vary from 25 units
a day when I'm undertaking exercise and eating lightly, to 35 when I'm
sat in front of the computer and eating heavily.

Best wished to all,

DM30+, 508 4 months+, only once had to use her emergency set, and yes,
In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>> With the pump, I think the need for emergency insulin is much more
>> likely to happen (couple of bad sets, and there you are).  So I am going
>> to get myself a spare prescription that I can carry around with my spare
>> sets.
>But Pat, you can use the same reservoir with a new set. You don't have to throw
>away a full reservoir when you change the set. Just reconnect the old reservoir
>and tubing to a new set, prime and Bob's your uncle. Or reconnect the old
>reservoir to a new tubing and set if you prefer.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)