Re: [IPk] Insulin availability; was "insulin abuse"

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>When I visited friends in Southampton one weekend last summer and took a vial
>of NPH instead of Humalog along, I was _astonished_ that I had the right
>insulin within three hours and at a cost of GPB 6 on a Sunday morning.  When
>my American friend Anne-Louise and I told her English husband Simon that in
>the US the same process we went through in three hours and GBP 6 would have
>taken a minimum of 5 hours and cost at least $220, he was incredulous.  But
>it's true.

I think you were lucky!

The last time I needed insulin away from home was this February (I took
an empty pen cartridge as the replacement with me, thinking it was a
full one).

I went to the pharmacy as I had the time before (within the last two
years), and they said the old system (whereby they phoned my GP, who
gave the OK) no longer worked, and they had to have a prescription, and
sent me to an NHS drop-in centre. After waiting 20 mins, I saw a nurse
who said she didn't have the authority to prescribe, and there was no
doctor there, so I shouldn't have gone anyway.

So I walked to a doctor, and waited an hour for an emergency

Total time, close to 3 hours.

With the pump, I think the need for emergency insulin is much more
likely to happen (couple of bad sets, and there you are).  So I am going
to get myself a spare prescription that I can carry around with my spare

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)